The common mistakes usually made by brides and grooms when choosing a photographer are:
- Not paying enough for a photographer – there are many so-called photographers who are paying for their hobby by posing as professional wedding photographers. They usually lack experience and don’t have the equipment capable of capturing quality images.
- Paying too much for your wedding photography – as in most situations, there comes the law of diminishing returns where a photographer feels that they can charge disproportionately high because they feel that certain customers feel that unless they are paying a lot of money for a service, they are not getting quality.
- Not telling your photographer your budget – a trustworthy photographer will be transparent about charges and will have their charges on their website or paperwork. So, by you telling them your budget, they can offer you the best value for money. In some cases, they may be able to tailor a package so that it falls within your budget.
- Not taking out due diligence – the best way to do this, is to visit the photographer where they work. That way, you know that they are not hiding behind a mobile phone number and in the worse case scenario you know where they operate from and you can knock on their door.
- Using an inexperienced photographer – unfortunately, being human, we all make mistakes and the inexperienced photographer arguably will make more mistakes and miss more moments than the well-seasoned wedding photographer.
- Not using a photographer who specialises in weddings – just as you would not use an orthopaedic surgeon to perform open heart surgery, the skill set of a wedding photographer is quite specialised.
- If you do not have the budget, then it is worth considering using a professional wedding photographer to cover the bear essentials i.e. the wedding ceremony and family and friends photographs.
I hope the above has been of some guidance and help to you. If you have any specific questions, or would like my guidance even if you are not using me as your photographer, please feel free to contact me as I am more than happy to help in any way I can.